Thursday, December 12, 2013

Technology Support from a student

I'm a firm believer that I learn from my students and today was no exception. Let me back up a few steps.....a few weeks ago, I thought it would be a great experience for my kids to learn about their ancestors. So I created a questionnaire that would be sent home and filled out by students and parents. To extend this activity and bridge it technology, I thought they could use google maps to drop a pin on the country their ancestors' were born and follow up with a few sentences. This project was slightly out of my comfort zone as I was not all that familiar with google maps other than getting directions.

 I called on Joe Wood for some support and he came to the rescue! In the computer lab, he taught my class and I how to navigate google maps. I quickly learned that this project was going to take numerous visits to the lab. Before we went back for the second time, one of my students shared that he could help the class because he already finished his project. I quickly jumped onto my website to take a look at his pin on the map and sure enough...he did in fact complete it. He told me it was easy! I asked him if he wanted to reteach the class the steps for this project and his face lit up. He did an amazing job...take a look for yourself.
 

 Here are a few pictures from today.
 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Torres and Class,
    You are amazing! I loved being in the lab and seeing you hard at work on your Google Maps! Showmen, thank you for teaching us! I can't wait to read more about what you are doing in class on your blog!
    Love,
    Mrs. Kloczko

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow all of us are working so hard-Ava

    ReplyDelete

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
~Mrs. Torres