Sunday, September 14, 2014

Potluck Post

It has been too long since my last post and I have so many different things to share...therefore the title, "Potluck" because you are going to see a little bit of everything.

I want to start with something really remarkable and that really touched my heart. I received an email a couple of weeks ago from a parent about something that her daughter did that was very special. Angela's family was having a yard sale and Angela decided to sell some cookies and raise money for her classroom. She was able to sell many cookies and earned $11. She brought the money to school and handed me the $11 in an envelope along with a big smile. I felt the lump form in my throat and all I could do was just give her a big hug. Many kids would take the money they earned and head to Target to buy a toy but Angela took her earnings and shared with the entire class...so young and selfless!
A couple of days later, Kennedy brought a roll of dollars and handed it to me and said it was for a class pet! Another "Random Act of Kindness" from another student. I knew I had to do something special to hold the money and for all the class to see. This is what I made that night:
The kids were really excited when I showed them the container with all the money inside. We had a discussion about how being a "Bucket Filler" is similar to showing Random Acts of Kindness (RAK). We came up with a goal and a plan. The class would like a pet and I'm all for having a "low maintenance" pet. We decided that every time someone showed a R.A.K., we would add a coin to the container. After a couple of months of filling up the container, we will count the money and decide which pet to purchase. This is were I need your help....can you please send in some loose change in a ziploc bag? I will have a student add coins to the jar whenever some demonstrates a R.A.K.

Other examples of R.A.K.
***************************************************************
40 BOOK CHALLENGE!
The kids in room 113 are blowing my mind! They are reading so much that most kids have surpassed the October goal I set which is to complete 2 chapter books and 7 picture books by the beginning of the month. When I tell them it's time to put their books away, they literally moan and ask if they could have just a few more minutes. How can a teacher deny that request? I now give them a 2 minute warning so they don't get upset. I love the passion my kids have for reading!
****************************************************************
FITNESS
This year, a few parents (Joan, Jessica and Amy) have decided to teach fitness classes on Friday's with all the 2nd graders...yep...that's 53 kids!!! Joan recently earned her Kids Zumba certification and is doing Zumba with the kids and Jessica and Amy are doing Kids Bootcamp. The ladies alternate the classes on Fridays. The kids as well as myself are really enjoying these energetic classes. Additionally, my student teacher is working towards her yoga certification and she did a yoga session with the kids. They loved that too. We also do Fitness Friday (walking/jogging) before these special classes. I know that I sleep extra good on Friday nights from all the fitness activities and I hope your 2nd grade is too.
YOGA
BOOTCAMP & ZUMBA




***************************************************************
MYSTERY READERS
Our class has had 3 Mystery Readers so far...Mrs. Kloczko, my mom, and Patrice, Luke's mom. The kids get very excited when they find out we have a mystery reader. Luke's mom brought a special book where Luke was an actual character in the book (see pic below). Luke even read the second book his mom brought!


3 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Torres and class,
    You are all amazing! I am so excited by how kind you are and how much you LOVE to read! I also had a great time at your boot camp Friday. Don't you love our school? And Mrs. Torres?
    Love,
    Mrs. Kloczko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Torres the STAR 2nd graders are amazing! Thank you for the potluck update. I really enjoyed the zumba video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, what a kind heart you have for others! That is so encouraging to see you thinking of your classmates. Way to go!

    Love the pictures and the updates about the classroom. I also love the PE pictures. Love being with these 2nd graders on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
~Mrs. Torres